By now we all know that customer service is the number one priority in running a business. Being able to listen and talk to a customer is a skill needed to really make sure you’re giving the very best in customer service you can. Especially if the caller is upset or angry. Interacting with your customers should become second nature. Here are some tips to great customer service.
- Repeat. Sometimes it can be difficult to understand a caller. Repeat what they have said to you if you had trouble understanding it correctly.
- Hold Time. We’ve all been put on hold. But there’s etiquette on how you should put a customer on hold. If you have to put someone on hold, let them know how long it may take. If it’s longer than 2 minutes, check back in with them to let them know the hold time may be longer.
- Acknowledge the problem. Make sure to relate to your customer by telling them you understand where their frustration is coming from and the reason for their call. This shows ownership of whatever problem the customer is upset about.
- Be patient. Let the customer know you care by being patient with them. Let them tell you what is wrong without interruption. Interrupting may only escalate the situation. Let the customer be heard, and then take charge of fixing the issue.
- Smile. A smile can actually translate through the phone, so when a call comes in, make sure to smile when you say hello. It will give off a sense of warmth and friendliness. Just make sure not continue doing this if a customer is angry. It may come off sounding condescending.
Make sure to have a successful customer call by maintaining a calm and respectful approach. Be open to hearing what they have to say and convey that openness to them by actively using the above suggestions. We want our customers happy and working on phone etiquette is one of the most important steps we can take to ensure optimal customer satisfaction.